Thursday 28 May 2009

Spring Awakening

And the wait had finally ended, the one show i had wanted to see since this time last year. Just in the nick of time as well as it well be off the West end at the end of the month, and it had only been running since April. Even with its 5 star reviews it has to end. I heard from an usherette during the interval that since the houses had been so small the produces run out of money, which was a shame because it was f**king fantastic!! From the moment the the first song started (Mama who bore me) I was hooked. The whole show was everything I expected and more. I just want to take the show to bits and examine every cog, wheel and spring and put it all back together then start all over to see if I had missed anything. Since I had read the original play I had a vague idea what was going to happen (not to mention I already know every line to every song) but there were still surprises and twists and turns that truly made this musical a unique piece of art. You find so many musicals that are all singing, dancing, bright, colorful and buzzing such as Wicked, The Producers, Mama Mia. Not to say anything bad about them, I love these types of musicals, and I have done a few of these myself, but Spring Awakening holds something else. It holds a certain truth and a depth of language which I truly love. The lyrics to every song are of a higher intellect of any other I have heard and the same runs through all the dialogue. The story follows a group of teenagers going though, to put its simple, puberty, and not only self discovery but the discovery of the world around them. A truly brilliant show and one of the best I have ever seen. Although I must say I was more than a little disappointed from the comments of my fellow theater goers. Such as, the music was good but the story not so much, it was to depressing and i don't feel the usual buzz, and (this ones the worst) it was to high school musical for me!!!!!! *gasp* Have you ever seen high school musical Ant? Do you remember any part of High School Musical with swearing, beatings, rape, masturbation and pascal nudity, hmm. And that story line was ten, no a million times better, not to mention the music. It is the complete opposite to High School Musical in every way. Dose anyone do in High School Musical, although that wouldn't be a bad thing. If you haven guessed I despise High School Musical. This is a drama musical with comedy aspects, in the same way as Rent, but I didn't feel depressed at the end just buzzing for more. Anyway to my fellow theater goers you are just a bunch of old farts (but I love you really). But to be fair this show is aimed towards the younger generation. Brilliant show and I hope it comes back to the West end because I would be happy to see it again and again and again.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, we are a bunch of old farts - and that's exactly why the show wasn't for us! Of course the subject matter is nothing like High School musical, it was more the leaping about with microphones and poppy style of singing that prompted the comparison.

    I probably would have loved it when I was 18 - but all that teen angst and hormones stuff seems so distant to me now, I found it hard to care. I guess if you were to watch Shortbus - an explicit film about dysfunctional 30-something relationships (which I love!) - you might have a similarly non-plussed reaction!

    Sorry if we put a dampener on your night - but it was nice to see you and I enjoyed the evening despite my reservations about the show. Let's do it again soon!

    ReplyDelete